top of page
  • Writer's pictureAntonise De Wet

Ways to save for your Childs education

You should start contributing to a college savings plan right away if you're a new parent or have young children. A college fund for your children is typically a surefire way to support them as they grow into successful adults. The constant reminders that college in America is prohibitively expensive and that costs have been rising for years are difficult to ignore. Don't give up though; if you make a plan, you can still save for your child's college education, even if your budget is limited. Americans owe a staggering $1.7 trillion in student loan debt, and while some students may be fortunate enough to have some or all of their debt forgiven, the majority will not. So when is the best time to start saving for your Childs education? Well, right about now! The sooner the better! But How?

Ways to save for your Childs education:

1.Set up a 529 Plan

One of the best and most well-known ways to have a college fund for children is through 529 plans, which you are probably familiar with. The saving programs, which are typically run by state governments, promote saving for future educational expenses. They frequently are tax-friendly in that many states allow you to deduct your contributions from your state income tax, and the money won't be taxed when you withdraw it for college.

The 529 plan in your state or any other state's plan is open to contributions. All state plans are unique, just like snowflakes. Therefore, if you reside in Idaho but prefer Indiana's plan, go for it.

2. Consider investing in eligible savings bonds

You can purchase digital savings bonds from the Treasury at as another way to start a college fund for children. They are no longer given out on paper.

According to Ryan Eyerman, a certified financial planner at E&M Consulting in Westlake, Ohio, "you can exclude the income from their annual gross income for tax purposes if you redeem them and use the money to pay for higher education, excluding room and board."

3. Consider opening a Coverdell Education Savings Account.

According to Eyerman, an ESA, also known as a Coverdell Education Savings Account, is "a tax-deferred trust account that can be used to pay for elementary, secondary, and higher education expenses - room and board is permitted." "As long as the money is used for educational purposes, earnings accumulate tax-free and distributions are tax-free."

"All funds must be used by age 30," continues Eyerman, "or there may be tax penalties."

However, there are other crucial factors to take into account. You can’t put more than $2,000 a year into an Coverdell ESA, and they’re only available for families below a certain income level, depending on your adjusted gross income.

4. Open a Roth IRA to fund your children's college expenses.

But a Roth IRA isn't for retirement, right? According to Laurence Namdar, a financial planner and the founder of Asher Levi Financial, a registered investment advisory firm in Holly Hill, Florida, a suburb of Daytona Beach, the answer is typically "yes," but it doesn't have to be.

According to Namdar, "A Roth IRA is an excellent vehicle for many taxpayers to invest after-tax money while shielding earnings and future growth from taxes for ever."

5. Contribute Funds to a Custodial Account

Custodial accounts, also known as UGMAs and UTMAs, are two types of savings accounts (Uniform Gift to Minors Act and Uniform Transfers to Minors Act). Although UTMAs can also hold tangible assets like real estate, they essentially hold the same assets, including cash, stocks, and mutual funds.

You can invest an unlimited amount of money in a UGMA or UTMA, but this choice works best when the child is one whom you believe to be accountable. When they turn 18, your child will be able to use the funds in the account legally for anything they want, including college.

6. Purchase mutual funds.

There is no cap on the amount you can invest, and of course, the funds don't have to be used for a college education. However, you will be required to pay annual income taxes on your earnings, capital gains taxes on the sale of your shares, and reduced financial aid eligibility due to the mutual fund's assets.

Education is not filling of a pail but the lighting of a fire.- William Butler Yeats

Your child most likely won't have to pay the full published cost of attendance unless your family's income is significantly higher than the national average. According to data from the National Center for Education Statistics, 86% of first-year undergraduates enrolled full-time at four-year institutions received financial aid in 2017–18.

A more accurate way to determine how much money to set aside is to look at the average net cost of a college. The amount a student actually pays is known as the net price because it includes any grant aid that is not subject to repayment. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and any state- or school-specific financial aid applications are used to determine the amount of federal, state, and school grants for which your child is eligible.


4 views0 comments


bottom of page